Ms Sadhbh Byrne
PhD in Psy., Postgraduate Cert. in Statistics, and BA (Hon)
Sadhbh Byrne is a research assistant on the Suicide Prevention Research Unit at Orygen. She has recently moved to Australia from Ireland, where she completed her PhD research (currently under assessment, with final viva voce examination in March 2019) at the University of Dublin, Trinity College. Sadhbh’s PhD study explored the role that parents and peers may play in identifying early signs and symptoms of adolescent depression, and supporting young people in distress. Fourteen secondary schools, over 500 young people, and over 300 parents across the eastern region of Ireland took part in this study.
- Children or young people
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people
- Target groups (CALD, LGBTI, Rural/remote, Lived experience)
- Suicidal behaviour(suicidal ideation, suicidal risk, suicide attempt)
- Mental health, mental ill health
- Settings (workplaces, mental health services, education, communities)
- Research opportunities
- Innovative approaches to suicide prevention
- Connecting with post-graduate candidates
- Collaboration with Australian suicide prevention services, programs and resources
- Support for discussions about suicide
Where next for youth mental health services in Ireland?
McMahon, J., Murphy, F., Cannon, M., O’Brien, G., O’Callaghan, M., Flanagan, R., O’Connor, K., Chambers, D., Byrne, S., McGorry, P.
Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine, 2018, 1-5. doi: 10.1017/ipm.2018.12
View at www.cambridge.org
How can parents support young people to safely navigate social media?
Robinson, J., Byrne, S., Bailey, E.
View at www.orygen.org.au
Social media can be bad for youth mental health, but there are ways it can help.
Robinson, J., Bailey, E., & Byrne, S.
The Conversation, 12th December 2017.
View at theconversation.com
Support givers: Exploring the role that parents and peers play for young people with depression.
Women Are Boring: Fascinating Research By Interesting Women, 21st November 2016
View at womenareboring.wordpress.com
Mental health literacy and help-giving responses in Irish adolescents.
Byrne, S., Swords, L., & Nixon, E.
Journal of Adolescent Research, 30(4), 2015, 477-500.
View at journals.sagepub.com
Please note: this is not a complete list of papers this researcher has contributed to. If the research you are interested in is not listed above, please contact the researcher for more information.